LAST REVISED: December 16, 2019
Personal Information We Collect
Personal information you provide
We collect the following types of personal information when you provide it to us or our service providers:
- Information you provide when you set up an account or use the Services, such as your name, email address, telephone number, postal address, date of birth, and payment-related information such as your billing address and payment method.
- Information you provide when you communicate with us as part of the Services, for example when you call us, text us, email us, or whenever you use the HT Pros chat feature in our mobile application.
- Information you make publicly available when you post reviews or comments through the Services.
Information you provide when you participate in our HT Perks program. For example, information about the total value of the bookings you have made.
You can decide not to provide certain personal information to us. However, if you choose not to provide it, you may not be able to use all the features of our Services.
Personal information collected automatically
We also automatically collect certain information when you use our Services, such as:
- Information about other websites you have visited over time. For example, the address of a referring website before landing on our Site and the websites you visit when you leave our Site.
- Information about how you use our Services (for example, how much time you spend using them, how often, and when you last used them).
- When your device is set to provide location information, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location based on data such as your IP address or the GPS of your mobile device in order to provide our Services to you or to improve our Services. We may collect this information when you are not using the Services if this connection is enabled through your device settings. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu.
- Certain technical and device-specific information, such as your IP address, your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Other personal information we receive from third parties, such as information obtained when you use social media accounts to interact with our Services.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technology
We may also automatically collect certain information through the use of "cookies" and other tracking technology.
- We may employ the use of anonymous identifiers, which are random strings of characters that are used for the same purposes as cookies on platforms, including certain mobile devices, where cookie technology is not available.
- We may also use web beacons or similar technology on our Services. Web beacons are small, invisible graphic images that may be used on our Services or in emails relating to our Services to collect certain information and monitor user activity on our Services, such as to count visits, understand usage effectiveness, and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
- We may use Google Analytics or similar analytics tools to enhance our Services.
How We Use Personal Information
We use personal information for the following purposes:
- To enable us to provide our Services (e.g., to process your booking, make a hotel reservation, or to send you booking confirmations via email or text message).
- To request feedback and to otherwise contact you about your use of our Services.
- To respond to your emails, questions, comments, requests and complaints, and to provide customer service and technical support.
- To monitor and analyze how you use our Services, for example, how long you spend on our mobile application, how you use our Services, and usage and trends related to your use of the Services.
- To personalize and improve our Services, and our users' experiences with our Services (such as providing content or features that match interests), and to increase our Services' functionality and user friendliness.
- To provide you with marketing messages, news and information about events, offers, promotions and services we think will be of interest to you (if you do not wish to receive these messages, you can unsubscribe by following the instructions at the bottom of the message).
- To send you confirmations, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages, and otherwise facilitate your use of, and our administration and operation of, our Services.
- To notify you about important changes to our Services.
- To investigate and protect our users from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful use of our Services.
- For other purposes which are explained to you at the time we collect your personal information, as applicable.
When and Why We Share Personal Information
We do not rent or sell your personal information to third parties. We share your personal information in the following limited circumstances:
- Hotels - In order to provide our Services, we share your personal information with hotels you have booked, or with other third parties who carry out Services on a hotel’s behalf.
- Other users - If you choose to include personal information (such as your email address, photo or other details) in your public profile through the Services, this information may be viewed by others who use our Services. If you choose to participate in a discussion forum, your IP address may be shared with forum moderators. Sometimes information you choose to share will be available to other users and in some cases may be publicly available (for example, where you share personal information as part of a review, photo submission or similar).
- Service providers - From time to time, we may need to share your personal information with certain service providers so that they can perform services on our behalf as needed for us to provide the Services. This may include payment-related information, your name and address, details about your invoice, details of your account with us, location, and information about the device you are using to access our Services (such as your device ID, operating system and browser, application and service logs, and information about how you use and interact with our App). Typically, our service providers help us by carrying out data analytics, providing booking and general customer support, processing payments, supporting email or IT services (for example, backing up our data), or carrying out similar support activities. We also share your personal information with a range of other service providers who help us provide our Services, improve your user experience, develop our business, or help us anticipate and fix any problems with our Services.
We also share your personal information with service providers who help us to manage our marketing and advertising, and to enable us to send you information about our products and services that you may be interested in. These service providers help us manage our customer information and personalize emails. We may share your name, email address, information about how you use the internet and our Services, information about your device (such as your device ID, operating system and browser) and information about your location.
- Third parties requiring information for legal reasons - We may share your personal information with others if the law requires us to, or if we think it is necessary to comply with the law. We may also share your personal information if we need to do so to protect or defend our legal rights, or those of others.
- Third party investigators, authorities or law enforcement bodies - We may share your personal information to investigate and protect our users from fraudulent, abusive, inappropriate, or unlawful use of our Services.
- Buyers or investors - In the event we consider a sale of all or a portion of our business, or take on new investors, we may share your personal information with a potential buyer or investor.
- Group companies - We may share your personal information with members of our group of companies for business and operational reasons, including any parent, subsidiary or affiliate of Hotel Tonight, LLC or its successors.
Global Operations and International Transfers of Data
How Long We Keep Personal Information
In general, we will only keep your personal information for as long as it is necessary to achieve the above-mentioned purposes or for our legitimate purposes or as required by law.
Links to or Interactions with Other Websites
The Services are not intended for use by children in the U.S. under the age of 18, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from such individuals. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of any such individual, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. Children under the age of majority in any jurisdiction outside of the U.S. should not provide any personal information without their parent’s consent.
Your choices and rights
You may "opt out" of receiving marketing or promotional messages from us by following the instructions in those messages. You may also opt out of such marketing by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as emails about your account or our on-going business relations.
Do-Not-Track requests; third-party tracking
Unless your browser settings are configured to make your online activities and publicly available information about your online activities (such as traffic data as described above) invisible to usage analytics tools, we do not presently have the capability to omit you from usage analytics to the extent your browser sends us a “do not track” message. More information about “do not track” is available at www.allaboutdnt.org concerning such information.
Users in the EEA or UK
If you are located in the EEA or UK, you may have the following rights:
- To have access to any personal information we hold about you and request portability.
- To ask us to correct, update or erase the personal information we hold about you.
- To ask us not to use your personal information for direct-marketing purposes.
- To ask us to restrict the way that we process your personal information.
- To ask us to have your personal information transferred.
- To object to our processing of your personal information.
If we process your personal information based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw consent at any time; the withdrawal will not affect our processing activities conducted prior to your withdrawal.
If you need help or wish to exercise any of the above rights or have questions about them, please contact us using the details set out below in the HOW TO CONTACT US section. We will consider all such requests and provide our response as soon as we can. Please note, however, that personal information may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances, which may include the need to keep processing your personal information for our legitimate interests or to comply with a legal obligation. Please note we may request that you provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to your request.
Notice To California Residents
Collection of Personal Information
- PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT describes the categories of personal information we collected and how it was collected
- HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION describes our business and commercial purposes for collecting personal information
- WHEN AND WHY WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION describes the third parties with whom we shared personal information
As a California resident, you have certain rights related to your personal information as described below. These rights may only apply in certain circumstances and are subject to certain exemptions. Please see the information below for information on your rights, how to exercise your rights and the information we require in order to respond to your requests.
- Right to Delete: You have the right to delete personal information that we collect or maintain about you. To request deletion of your information, e-mail email@example.com. You will be required to provide certain information which we will use to verify your request. Please note that certain exceptions apply to this right, such as when we must retain your information to comply with law. We will notify you of any exceptions as applicable to your request.
- Right to Know: You have the right to know what personal information we collect, use, disclose, and/or sell about you. To request this information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Right to Non-Discrimination: You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for exercising your rights described in this section. However, we may offer certain financial incentives, charge reasonable fees related to your request, or deny your right to know or right to delete in accordance with applicable law.
You can exercise these rights yourself or by designating (in writing) an authorized agent to make your request on your behalf. Your authorized agent must be able to demonstrate authority to act on your behalf as part of a verifiable request.
Disclosure or Sale of Personal Information
In the last 12 months, we have not sold your personal information and have only disclosed your personal information as described above. We also do not knowingly collect the personal information of minors under age 18 and do not sell such information.
Third Party Marketing Disclosure
Pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, California residents have the right to request from a business with whom the California resident has an established business relationship what types of personal information, if any, the business shares with third parties for direct marketing purposes by such third parties and the identities of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information in the immediately preceding calendar year. We do not currently provide any personal information to third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. If you have any questions, comments or requests related to this Section, please contact us via email at email@example.com
Complaints and Queries
If you have any complaints, queries or questions about how we use your personal information, you may contact us using the contact details set out below in the HOW TO CONTACT US section. We will then get in touch with you to see how we can help. If you have a complaint about how we use your personal information, we would always prefer you to contact us first. However, you may also make a complaint to the relevant data privacy regulator if you wish to do so. Please let us know if you are unsure about how to get in touch with the data privacy regulator in your region.
How to Contact Us