Best Hotels in Monterey, California
Monterey is a California classic. Just off Highway 1, this coastal town serves up old school beach town vibes. Plus, some of our favorite hotels. From charming nautical inns just steps from the pristine beaches to elegant rooms boasting fireplaces and historic decor - we know all the best hotels in Monterey.
Made famous by the words of John Steinbeck, Monterey was once the center of the sardine packing industry. Today, it’s known for its popular aquarium, stunning ocean views, and hot bowls of clam chowder. Whether you’re taking in the scenery on the 17-mile drive, doing a little wine tasting, taking out a kayak or hitting the golf course - Monterey has plenty to offer and we’ve got hotels to match.
Why We Love Monterey, California
Coastal charm and California history. Here’s why we love Monterey.
- Charming hotels: Need a seaside stay-away in Monterey? Look no further. From rustic suites serving up ultimate ocean views to reno’d boutiques rocking laid back vibes and onsite wine hour - we’ve got Monterey hotels on lock.
- Monterey Aquarium: Did you even visit Monterey without a trip to the world famous aquarium? Right on historic Cannery Row, the Monterey Aquarium is an impressive institution hosting over 35,000 creatures. Don’t miss the two-story exhibit feature the sea otters - Monterey’s favorite animal.
- Get outside: There are endless opportunities to explore the great outdoors in Monterey. Go kayaking in Moss Landing right next to wild sea otters, go hang gliding at Marina State Beach, take a day hike at Point Lobos or go mountain biking at Fort Ord National Monument.
- A bit of history: Monterey isn’t lacking in history and there are plenty of sites to learn a little something about the area. Visit the oldest operating lighthouse on the West Coast, Point Pinos Lighthouse (it’s rumored to be haunted!). Grab lunch at John Steinbeck’s childhood home. And, of course, explore famous Cannery Row.
- Wine & dine: Monterey’s food and wine scene does not disappoint. From local-sourced ingredients to beautiful settings, you won’t forget a meal in Monterey. For classic seafood in a bustling old-school spot, check out Old Fisherman’s Grotto.
Where to find the best hotels in Monterey, California
Looking for the best last-minute hotel deals in Monterey? HotelTonight lets you book amazing hotels tonight, tomorrow or beyond at incredible rates. Just search Monterey with HotelTonight and find a great hotel at an even better price.